Muffins are yummy and a wonderful addition to any morning meal. Not only that, but leftover muffins can be eaten as a snack or frozen to be eaten at a later time. Muffins are very adaptable. You can make them sweet like delectable banana chocolate chip muffins or savory like ham and cheese muffins.
Another great thing about making muffins yourself is that you can supervise what goes into them. You can alter some of the ingredients and make your muffins as healthy as you wish. You can do this multiple ways:
- Substitute 2/3′s of the oil with applesauce
- Substitute 25% of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour
- Substitute sour cream with plain yogurt
- Substitute half of the sugar with agave syrup
- If the recipe calls for bananas, use really ripe bananas and reduce the amount of sugar by a couple of tablespoons
- Substitute eggs with egg beaters
- add 1/4 cup of wheat germ and 2 tablespoons of milk
- Substitute 7/8 cup of garbanzo bean flour for one cup of all-purpose flour
- Substitute extra dark 63% cacao chocolate chips for semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Substitute chia seeds for poppy seeds (chia seeds are high in omega 3 fatty acids and fiber)
- Substitute low-fat milk for whole milk
- Double or even triple the amount of spices the recipe calls for. Spices have a lot of health benefits: for example cloves act as an anti-inflammatory, ginger is good for digestion and nausea while cinnamon can lower your LDL cholesterol and regulate your blood sugar.
Here are just a handful ways you can make your muffins more healthy. I enjoy making and enjoying muffins and I know if I make them healthy, then I can enjoy them guilt-free.
Making muffins can be fun and a way to make memories with your children or grandchildren. You can teach them skills like how to crack and separate eggs, how to measure ingredients and how to make a delectable and moist muffin, just to mention a few.
My nephews like helping me when I am making muffins. If I am making banana chocolate chip muffins, they like to mash the bananas and eat the chocolate chips! We have had a lot of fun and created a lot of memories in my kitchen baking muffins.
When you bake muffins, the mouthwatering aroma permeates your home and you get to enjoy it all day. When your kids and spouse comes home, they will take notice of what smells so great and will certainly want to try whatever you were baking! Make it wholesome and you can be happy about what they are enjoying.
I enjoy taking muffins to work, hot out of the oven. I prepare my ingredients the night before (mixing the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls). The next morning, the first thing I do is pre-heat the oven then mix the wet and dry ingredients together; place the batter in the muffin tins and let them bake while I am getting ready for work. The muffins arrive warm and luscious. My co-workers wonder how I had time that morning to make muffins. I let them wonder…
Author: joypetersonThis author has published 1 articles so far. More info about the author is coming soon.